Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Kitchen Tip Tuesday



I like to bake, a lot. And today at school, I found myself with nearly 2 cups of pineapple juice and the light syrup from canned mandarin oranges. (My kids and I were making fruit kabobs!) Instead of pouring all that good flavor down the drain, I found a bowl with a lid and saved it all. I'm planning on using it this weekend when I bake, partly as a substitute for some of the water/milk in my recipes, partly as a substitute for some of the sugar. I've done this before with strawberry bread and it was sooo good. I can't wait to see what comes out!

2 comments:

Sonshine said...

Now that is good tip! I actually never thought of saving the juice for using in baking. So you reduce both the liquid and the sugar amounts or just evenly sub the juice for the some of the liquid and sugar? So if you have to put in 1 cup of liquid and 1/2cup of sugar in your recipe you would put 3/4 cup of that fruit juice into your recipe?? Just making sure that I am understanding things right! LOL

Lauren Christine said...

What a great tip! I'll have to try this sometime.