Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Easy taco soup


Alternate Title: Waste not, want not





This is my first Kitchen Tip Tuesday! Yay! (Oh wait...it's my first everything so far, so nothing new :)

I make my taco soup very simply...I actually call it chicken salsa soup. Chicken, salsa, and some frozen mixed veggies. Top with corn chips and cheese if you want, but not necessary.

I had followed Heather's advice to make baked chimichangas, and threw some frozen boneless skinless chicken thighs in the crockpot with some salsa. When I took the chicken out to shred, I noticed that I still had plenty of diluted salsa left, which I hated to waste. I threw in a couple more thighs, some more salsa, and a cup of frozen mixed veggies. Turn the crockpot back on, and voila...you have chicken salsa soup with practically no extra work! Hubby said it was the best "taco" soup he'd ever had :) And for about $2 for the whole pot ($1-chicken, $0.50-salsa, $0.50-veggies), cheap-to-boot!!

So my kitchen tip for this Tuesday...look at what you'd normally throw out. You never know what you can make of it!

Love--Blossom

2 comments:

Heather Solos said...

How did your chimichangas turn out?

We call it Mustgo soup and use a lot of leftovers are only bits and pieces, not full servings.

blossomteacher said...

They were awesome! I brought one to school today for lunch :) Out of that one idea, chicken and salsa in a crockpot, I've made soup, quesadillas, and chimichangas. (Wonder what I'll cobble together next?)