Thursday, March 6, 2008

Frugality of convenience foods

Let's face it...one of the first pieces of advice when cutting back on spending is "quit eating out." And hubby and I have definitely cut wayyyyy back. Another corollary of that is to cut out convenience foods...make things from scratch instead of buying prepackaged food, for monetary as well as health reasons.

As I sit here and do my weekly grocery-ad trawling, and I saw that HEB has wings on sale. 6.99 for 6 servings of heat-and-eat wings. Now I am pretty sure getting raw wings and your own fixings would be cheaper, but I am seriously thinking about adding these to my grocery list for 2 reasons.

1) I've never made wings from scratch, but I understand you have to fry them. I hate to fry, I'm not good at it, and I'm afraid I'd just ruin the whole thing, which is not frugal. I always joke that when I make a new recipe, I have to budget not only for the ingredients, but for a box of chicken in case I screw the whole thing up.

2) I've been craving wings, but they are stupidly expensive. 10 for $5 at Little Ceasars?? I know WingStop and Buffalo Wild Wings are even more expensive...more like $7 for 10. I've never seen anything so ridiculous...except a $10 bowl of spaghetti. (But that's another post.) And I can get 6 servings for $7? As long as a serving is larger than 1 2/3 of a wing, I'm good. That's my kind of wings, thank-you-very-much!

Happy munching!--Blossomteacher

No comments: