Monday, January 31, 2011

Consider this my first post.

The Crazy Teacher never really was, and now it is no more.  I'm tempted to delete the posts, but I think they'll stay up for now.

Welcome to the first post of "Three Minutes."

This is the first post of my weight loss journey, to share with friends and family, to keep myself accountable, to keep going when I don't want to any more.

I am almost exactly two weeks away from my 30th birthday.  This morning, I weighed in at 316.7 pounds.  Sounds like a lot?  Consider that I'm 5'4".  Yeah, that makes it worse.  Second consideration?  Friday I was at 318.2.  So at least we're starting off in the right direction.

I am calling this blog "Three Minutes at a Time" because I am fat the reason I think a lot of people are...laziness.  I want my life to change, but I don't want to do the work to change it.  I hate exercising, plus spending an extra hour driving, changing, showering in addition to a 30 or 60 minute workout.  But I can committ three minutes at a time to myself.  Originally, that meant exercising three minutes at a time, how ever many times a day I could get in.  That's one song, one burst of energy, one whatever.  So no, not three minutes a day...lots of three minutes, as many as I can wrangle.

And yes, I know the research...you need to get your heart rate up at least X number of minutes a day, blah blah blah.  But this is more than I was doing.  And I know that 3 minutes of exercise will suddenly not be as hard, and then turn into 5 minutes, and so on and so forth.  I'm not looking for "perfect."  I'm looking for "better than nothing at all."

Secondly, there are a lot of other ways to take care of yourself three minutes at a time.  Chop an extra veggie, and add it to something.  Make a cup of hot tea instead of buying a soda.  Wash your measuring cups and spoons so you can measure and track your meals.  Sit down and log your meals instead of checking FB for the 40th time.

So, join me for the ride.

No comments: